Dave Nebinger wrote:

That plus the fact that the built-in version tends to be well tested before
it is accepted into the kernel source tree...

Audio enthusiasts need a bleeding edge alsa than the relatively old one that's approved into the kernel. Just because "good enough" is OK for you, doesn't mean that it's ok for everyone else. I personally find what is built into the kernel to be fine. However, I also find the vanilla kernel to not be snappy enough for my requirements.

To believe that the box you hold with square holes is sufficient to satisfy all other people's shapes spherical and elliptical is just not what Gentoo is about.