On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:41:27 -0800, Bob Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Actually, yes, I tried both. Kudzu found the card and configured it to
> > use the orinoco_pci driver. That driver starts loading but then says
> > the card's firmware isn't present and bombs out. (The firmware is
> > present. I put the card in a Windows box and it works fine.)
> >

> The firmware needs to be on the hard drive, in a path the firmware
> loader can find.  On Gentoo, I see there is - prism54-firmware,
> but it's for the Intersil Prism GT and Duette chipsets.
>

> > So, ndiswrapper seems like a reasonable way to go, and if I have to
> > build a kernel then I'd rather use Gentoo and get the advantages of
> > portage over time. (Or that's my thought in the cold cruel light of
> > morning...) ;-)
> >

> Well as you have a Gentoo system, you might pull down the prism54-firmware
> package,
> see where it's installed to and cp it over to the other system and give it a
> shot.
>
> Bob

Bob,
   This was helpful, at least intellectually. I've emerged
prism54-firmware and get a single file called isl3890. It's placed in
/lib/firmware. The FC2 box doesn't have that file, but I'm not sure
yet whether that file is approparite for this specific card.

   Actually, FC2 doesn't have a /lib/firmware directory. It does have
/etc/firmware which seems like a reasonable place. That directory has
one file:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] firmware]$ ls -la
total 436
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   4096 Jan 10 12:51 .
drwxr-xr-x  71 root root  12288 Jan 11 10:23 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 425816 May  7  2004 microcode.dat
[EMAIL PROTECTED] firmware]$

which may be the Intel microcode. Not sure. There is also
/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/drivers/firmware with one file there
also, but this is shooting in the dark. I'm not sure how to figure out
what script would be loading the firmware to see where it's looking.

   Does "eth1: failed to initialize firmware (err = -110)" mean it
couldn't find it or couldn't load it? (I.e. - the stack size issue
that is there under ndiswrapper, and I suppose Gentoo also.)

Thanks,
Mark