On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:15:42 -0800, Bob Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Actually another thread I found said the firmware was in an on-board
> > eeprom and is loaded by hardware at power-up or reset. Logical, but
> > whether it's true I don't know...
> >
> > - Mark
> >

> Yep that's one way to that as well.  It could mean the paticular
> Linux kernel on FC2 - 2.6.5 ( is that what I saw?), doesn't send
> reset to PCI properly or some other bug.  Maybe the D-Link card
> doesn't actually meet PCI bus specs and Windows does workarounds
> or maybe it just needs a sleep 1 between the bus reset and the
> driver hitting the card?
>
> Bob

Bob,
   I'm goingto operate on the basis that mostof what I'm reading on
this subject and FC2 is accurate. So far it seems to be:

1) For ndiswrapper you need stack sizes larger than 4K to load the
Windows driver for many cards.

2) If the card possibly requires the driver loaded to get the firmware
into the radio (i.e. - the driver loads, finds the card, then issues
some command to the card to load the firmware) then without the driver
even the firmware won't work, much less the card.

3) Since ndiswrapper works at least a little bit before crashing the
firmware is somewhere even if I cannot find it.

4) The ndiswrapper site tells you to not ask for support unless you've
got a kernel with large stack sizes.

5) There is a kernel config option for larger stack sizes in the
kernel.org kernels. Probably it's there in the Gentoo kernel but I
haven't looked yet.

6) Redhat completely disables this option in their kernel source.

   Based on the above train of thought I've downloaded a 2.6.10 stable
kernel from kernel.org and am configring it now. There was an option
to use 4K stack sizes in the kernel, or to use 8K so I'm trying 8K. If
the kernel boots then I'll rebuild ndiswrapper and try again.

   Again, I think none of this except for downloading the kernel would
be different on my Gentoo box, wouldit? I never got ndiswrapper
working with the Broadcom NIC in that machine. Maybe I shoudl try
again... ;-)

Thanks,
MArk