I created a chroot environment using the stage3 tarball and copied across
my make.conf and did:
emerge --sync
emerge portage

Everything was fine up until this point. I then executed an emerge of
glibc and left it to build. It failed with:
--- /etc/init.d/
>>> /etc/init.d/nscd
--- /sbin/
>>> /sbin/ldconfig
>>> /sbin/sln
>>> Safely unmerging already-installed instance...
!!! FAILED prerm: 35584

I then attemed to re-emegre glibc and saw a repeat of the failure I
reported before:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc # emerge glibc
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1 to /
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc #

I then rm'd the incomplete glibc and re-extracted the stage tarball et voila:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] / # rm -rf
/var/db/pkg/sys-libs/-MERGING-glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1/
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / # emerge -p vim

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] dev-util/ctags-5.5.4
[ebuild  N    ] sys-libs/gpm-1.20.1
[ebuild  N    ] app-editors/vim-core-6.3-r3
[ebuild  N    ] app-editors/vim-6.3-r2

[EMAIL PROTECTED] / # emerge vim
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 4) dev-util/ctags-5.5.4 to /
>>> Downloading http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/ctags-5.5.4.tar.gz
--23:49:46--  http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/
..
..

Everything seems to be working again in the chroot environment. So it
seems the incomplete emegre of glib is whats clobbering the system. Is
there any debugging infomation people want to work out what went wrong?

--
Alex
http://www.bennee.com/~alex/