On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:21:22 -0500, Nicholas Pappas
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         Hello all.
>
>         I'm having a crisis of conscious at the moment.  I've been using
> Gentoo
> for a while and I really like it, but the simple truth is I don't need
> the granularity that compiling the source for each update provides.
> That, and I don't fool myself into pretending I know enough to tune my
> USE (and per package USE) variable to make the source version any better
> then your average prebuilt P4 package.

I am sorry - but these threads almost get me into flame war mode. What
you are saying is "I like Gentoo - but I don't like Gentoo". It makes
no sense what so ever. One of the basic points with using Gentoo,
IMHO, is that it *is* a source based distro. You are supposed to be
able to tweak the packages. Binary packages create more problems than
they solve, again IMHO, in that you will soon get into dependency
hell.

I you want binary packages of everything, then go to RH, Mandrake or
something like that.

Rgds,

Martin s