Jeff Cranmer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> Has anyone tried to use the scanner functions of an HP PSC-750 in
> gentoo?
>
> I installed xsane, but get a 'no devices available' error when I try to
> run it.  The printer works fine via cups.

If you're running kernel 2.6.x, make sure you _don't_ have the module
printer.ko.  scanner support (as well as printer support) have been
moved into user-space with libusb.  Make sure it is emerged, if not,
remerge hpoj with USE=usb.

so you should have merged libusb, hpoj, cups, and xsane.  Now, run
'ptal-init setup'.  When this is done, running 'xsane' should startup
and recognize the device.  If not, don't sweat it, It's been a year or
so since I set mine up, so my memory is a little fuzzy.  Take a look at
the cups documentation, or linuxprinting.org .

Also note after setup to start the services /etc/init.d/{hpoj,cups} in
that order.

You'll most likely have to redefine your printer in cups.  Here's the
relevant portion of my /etc/cups/printers.conf

<DefaultPrinter HP_PSC_750>
Info HP Color PSC
Location office
DeviceURI ptal:/mlc:usb:PSC_750
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

Your device uri may be different depending on how you answered
ptal-init...

hth,

Cooper.