It is not just the OKs that are missing -- it is the entire line that would normally display the OKs. I'm using the same monitor (it is LCD) as I was using in my past install, but always received those lines in the past.
When booting, I see that weird warning towards the end. Here are the last 5 lines of my boot screen, before I get the login prompt:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 212k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Adding 1028152k swap on /dev/sda3.  Priority:-1 extents:1

That "Warning: unable to open initial console" seems awfully fishy to me. I just have not clue why it is suddenly showing up or how to fix it (if it is indeed the problem).
Everything appears to loading correctly. My network, for example, is up and running -- despite the fact I never see the "OK" output telling my that the system is trying to bring it up, and has then succeeded.

        Thanks for the help!

Douglas James Dunn wrote:
About the OK's are they just not there? like missing?  if your using an
lcd monitor I've noticed that sometimes when my monitor and previous
monitors switch between like your boot screen and X and other stuff
sometimes it displays the screen shifted to the left or to your case
possibly the right.  It sometimes cuts off the top 3-5 lines causing the
login prompt to not show on the screen or other things like that.  I
know some LCDs have an auto align button that should clear that up.
Thats really the only thing i can think of that might cause that.