I brought this topic up the other day and only got a single response
(thanks to Aaron Walker :-) ) on the subject.  At the end of this email
is my original question and the response that I received.

> Hello people ,
>
> This pops up after emerging xorg-6.8.1.901 , xorg-6.8.1.902 , and
> probably others , but I am sure only about these two.
>
> QA Notice: /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg is setXid, dynamically linked and using
> lazy bindings.
> This combination is generally discouraged. Try: LDFLAGS='-Wl,-z,now'
> emerge xorg-x11
>
> What does this mean ? Should I put LDFLAGS='-Wl,-z,now'
> in /etc/make.conf ( don't want to type it every time ) ? And if this
> LDFLAGS are good , why not make the ebuild set them , or at least tell
> me BEFORE everything is compiled and installed.
>

> --
> Thanks,
> Ivan Yosifov.

>                                  From:
>         Tres Melton
>         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>                                    To:
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                               Subject:
>         Per package environment
>         variables
>                                  Date:
>         Mon, 03 Jan 2005 05:18:14 -0700
>
>         While emerging something I received the following message:
>
>         QA Notice: /usr/bin/sudo is setXid, dynamically linked and
>         using lazy
>         bindings.  This combination is generally discouraged. Try:
>         LDFLAGS='-Wl,-z,now' emerge sudo
>
>         My questions are:
>         1)      Is there a USE variable that enables safe linking of
>         SUID
>         packages
>         automatically?
>         2)      Is there a file like /etc/portage/package.env-var
>         where
>         environment
>         variables can be set (or appended to) on a per-package basis?
>         The
>         suggestion given above is not remembered anymore than setting
>         a USE flag
>         on the command line is.  It is also somewhat flawed when
>         emerging the
>         world and I don't want those link flags applied to every
>         package that
>         needs updating in my world, just the ones that will be
>         installed SUID.
>         3)      Is there a list of packages somewhere that should be
>         linked in
>         this
>         manner?  If I'm working on the computer then I can change over
>         to the
>         terminal doing the emerge and restart it with the safe link
>         flags but
>         most of the time I never notice.
>         4)      Is there someway to search the emerge logs for either
>         the notice
>         above or for the lazy link flags and then cross reference them
>         with
>         every SUID program that has been installed?
>
>         Thanks in advance. :-)
>
>         --
>         Tres Melton
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> [...]

Those messages are scattered throughout the system in many places but I
haven't taken the time to file bug reports as suggested because the only
other person that uses my computer locally is my girlfriend and I have
to keep telling her not to install Micro$oft plug-ins into Mozilla
because that is what keeps blowing up her desktop.  (And she wonders why
I will not give her my passwords for the machine!)  She is not someone
capable of creating an exploit for that vulnerability, or any other one.
--
cheers,
boater