On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 11:39:08AM -0500, Stephen More wrote
            ****
            ****
            **** Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, we have a loser!

> Resolving vlaai.snt.ipv6.utwente.nl... failed: Host not found.
                      ****
                      ****
                      **** Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, we have a loser!

[...deletia...]

> I downloaded  portage-20050112.tar.bz2 and I used emerge --sync
> per http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=6
>
> Yes, I am using the 2004.3 LiveCD
>
> I did execute mirrorselect and this is what it picked:
>
> GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp6.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo
> ftp://vlaai.snt.ipv6.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/
> ftp://chod.cwru.edu/
> gentoo ftp://mirror.gentoo.ru/pub/mirror/gentoo/";

  OK folks, here is the *ROOT CAUSE* of the problem.  The install LiveCD
boots up with IPV6 enabled.  That's when mirrorselect gets run.  It
finds IPV6-addressable servers.  But when you chroot later on in the
install, you lose access to the IPV6-enabled binaries.  Is there a bug
report on this somewhere?  I think the correct procedure should be to run
mirrorselect *AFTER* the chroot.

> Manually downloading will fix this problem for me, but how can we fix
> this problem for the next guy ?

  OK, so much for the screwup in the install scripts, your solution is
to comment out the GENTOO_MIRRORS line in make.conf and re-run
mirrorselect *AFTER CHROOTING*, which will give only IPV4-addressable
servers in the MIRRORS line.

  The real solution is to get the developers to fix the b0rk3n install
routine.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will