Yes, attempts by spammers to use you as a relay. You say 200 machines all over the world in one hour? That does seem a LOT, seeing as I get probably about 10 a day.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] is probably your best shot for the entry below (based on IP), however if there are in actual fact 200 per hour from *all* over the world this approach won't be very useful.

Is your mailserver secure? Does it actually allow connections (smtp) from outside? If these spammers find a way in, there will be *many* abuse@ emails to your ISP ... so be aware. I suggest also checking logs to see what has actually been sent, by who and to who .... just to make sure they didn't already find a way.

Let me guess though .. the most of the other attempts are coming from the USA, Korea and China, possibly also Brazil? If this is the case then we know it is spammers....

Michael Thompson wrote:
For the past hour I have just watched over 200 dialup machines from all over the world attemp to connect to my Mailserver

They were all rejected like the following

Jan 19 09:05:07 polaris postfix/smtpd[24494]: warning: Illegal address syntax from host195-202.pool82191.interbusiness.it[82.191.202.195] in MAIL command: @

This lasted for about a hour. All I can think of is that I was picked on by some script/virus/Trojan looking to spam.

Any Views?