On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:54:03 +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
> So, you are correct in saying that Gentoo can't include this right now
> on our supported kernels. But it is not to say that it "never" will be
> supported.

Well. I can't see the future :) But in the current situation,
I have to look for workarounds like, mentioned by you, installation from
package cd and then patching kernel. And I do not see any steps
forward. So I told never. Of course may be one day...

But may be there is a possibility to create ebuild, which will download
the patch from http://www.polbox.com/h/hs001/ , and then patch the kernel?
I think this ebuild can be GPL'ed, but then user can decide does he want
this bad kernel headers and other code be changed or not.

What is the gentoo position concerning ebuild for packages with
proprietary license? Is there any possibility to have such ebuild in
portage?

Of course such solution does not solve problems with live-cd but it can
improve gentoo's package system: the user can know nothing about pathing,
but has everything necessary installed. I think that is the reason for
package system to exist.

________
Peter.