On Saturday 22 January 2005 15:50, Holly Bostick wrote:

> But here's my question: is this issue not occurring solely because the
> user is trying to connect to said VPN through software?
>
> My ISP uses VPN as well, and at the moment I connect via the LAN using
> software routing on a Windows machine (the presence of Windows bypasses
> the OP's issue). However, we are waiting for a router, which supports
> VPN in hardware and is compatible with both UNIX and Windows, and is
> configured via a web interface.

Don't believe that routers do it "in hardware", they don't. ;-)

> So if the OP had such a router (or, alternatively, if and when I get my
> bf to switch to Linux, making this a one-OS household), such a kernel
> patch would no longer be necessary, would it (because the router
> understands VPN perfectly well, so as long as I give it the correct
> configuration details, it would work fine)?

Yes, it will work with any OS that talks TCP/IP. The router will hold up the
tunnels for the VPN and all your computers see will be a normal IP
connection. Don't worry!

One thing you probably should do (after you have got your router) is set the
MTUs (Maximum Transfer Unit) of your computers' ethernet interfaces a bit
lower than the usual 1500 to avoid IP fragmentation. I don't know the *exact*
number off the top of my head but 1400 should do:

ifconfig eth0 mtu 1400

> Or am I missing something (I'm no network guru ;-) )?

:-)

Again: Don't worry, the router will take care of the VPN.

Uwe

--
Alternative phrasing of the First Law of Thermodynamics:
If you eat it, and you don't burn it off, you'll sit on it.

http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)