On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:04:43 +0800, mel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
>
> > My first thought would be a question: do you have a desktop computer
> > that could do the compile work?
>
> Yeah I do except that the the desktop computer is an Athlon-XP,
> while my notebook is Intel-based. Another thing is that my notebook
> has different use flags compared to the desktop. So, having my desktop
> compile the apps for me is out of the question since I like to have my
> notebook slim :)

I'm not an expert on these matters; perhaps a developer or guru will
step in. Nevertheless, I believe with a little work you could setup to
build packages with the USE flags you prefer for the laptop and
maintain these separate from the desktop configuration. You might
search on forums for more information.

As a final note, if your laptop does not have adequate cooling and
running the fans constantly does not produce the desired results, you
may well have to consider the approach of building packages on the
desktop machine.

--
 Collins