Bob Sanders wrote:
There is work going on for the next release of Gentoo on x86_64 in getting
the multilib environment working properly.  But no, no links on Oracle at
the moment.  And given everything I've seen on Oracle both when I was actively
involved - V3 on a 36-bit Dec KI10, and as a user now, I'd recommend staying
away
from Oracle if at all possible.  Any software that requires a set of specific
libraries, even on Red Hat Enterprise, has some serious issues with working
at all.

Actually general 32bit jails sounded interesting enough on their own since this will likely be a problem for legacy software for the next 1-3 years. Yeah most OSS stuff won't have any issues, but slow moving enterprise "oh you need to pay $5k for the 64 bit version" software will probably be around till the next upgrade cycle.

In this case it's one of the 50 largest Oracle installtions in the country... or was when I worked there. I don't think they can avoid Oracle at this point, though moving to amd64/Linux/10g would significantly cut their hardware costs.

But if you want to keep track of what's going on with 64-bit and 32-bit
multiple library environments, subscribe to - gentoo-amd64.

will do.

Fiber HBA card? Like Qlogic? It's in the kernel. And any decent FC card has
been 64-bit complaint for ages. The only issues I've seen are some Wireless cards and useless winmodems. Real hardware has 64-bit drivers.

It's an EMC fiber hba... and of course has vendor supplied drivers that aren't in the kernel at large and aren't 64bit or so they have said.

kashani