Somewhere around Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 10:08:04AM -0800, a message
from [EMAIL PROTECTED] went like this:
> Hi all,
>
> It's time for a new computer and I'm interested in folks thoughts about
> motherboards for Athlon 64 CPUs.  I intend to use SATA RAID1 via a 3ware
> card.  The machine will be used for a workstation as well as a server
> that I use to store applications to be installed on other workstations,
> as well as disk images.  It will also be acting as a WINS server for
> about 170 windoze boxen, and will be running Gentoo (of course!).  The
> workstation duties will be fairly light, and I'm looking for something
> that's good at kicking out lots of data to other workstations.

I just installed the gentoo on an MSI Neo2 Ultra based on the NForce3 chipset.
It seems to work fine. In order to use the LiveCD I had to send the "noapic"
switch to the kernel otherwise the builtin network card didn't work. Once I
built my own kernel the machine flies. I too am using SATA (no RAID) and haven't
had to do anything special to make it all work.

Bill

--
Protect your computer - Browse with Firefox!
Gentoo Linux - Flexible, Powerful

Just because something doesn't do what you planned,
doesn't mean its useless.
                        Thomas Edison