You don't have to get that old of a card. I'm using an nvidia 5700 and it works well, and I kno people using even newer cards that work well.

ATI is, for most people, painful and time consuming to set up.

nVidia is, generally, much easier to install and use.

Free and open video card? So are they gonna ship out in cracker jack boxes? Maybe the DRIVERS are free and open, in which case they only have the "open" part better than nVidia (though nvidia works VERY well and I don't mind it being closed). I worry also about how supported they would be in other operating systems, windows and such? I'd stick to nVidia only because it's known and works well. OpenGL too!

Tres Melton wrote:
I too am preparing to get a new system and have been watching the AMD64
motherboard thread with interest and thought about starting a thread on
video cards.  I am looking to get the most advanced card I can get that
uses completely Free drivers.  I've heard that there is an older Nvidia
card that is well supported (4200?).  OpenGL is important to me as well.
There is a great interview of Timothy Miller on Kernel Trap:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/4622

Tim is an avid Free Software user and a graphics card designer that
works for a company that builds graphics cards for medical and air
traffic control systems and has convinced his company, Tech Source, to
fund the development of a completely Free and Open video card.  He is
hoping for a release date of June 2005 but engineering samples are
supposed to be available earlier to developers of graphics systems (X,
KDE, Gnome, Mplayer, etc.).  When it is available I'll buy one if for no
other reason than to support the project, but, until then, what is the
card that the Gentoo graphics developers are using?

-- We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.