Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

Hi,

is xcdroast broken?
Because you do not have to fiddle around with 'sudo' just to burn as user.
If xcdroast needs root-rights for itself, something is very wrong with it.

Be in the 'cdrw' group. Have the cdrecorder device (like hdc, or bus1/target0/cd) in the cdrw group. Have it group right/writeable.

Remove the suid root bit from cdrecord Burn.

It is really that easy, it only hangs if:
cdrecord is suid root.
The permissions in /dev are not 'ok'. The permissions for cdrecord are not 'ok'.

If xcdroast forces you, to punch holes in your system with sudo, it may be time to look for a better alternative.

Glück Auf
Volker

I am starting to suspect broken :-(

bash-2.05b#
bash-2.05b# ls -al /dev/hdc
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root cdrw 30 Jan 24 00:01 /dev/hdc -> ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd
bash-2.05b# ls -al /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd
brwxrwxrwx 1 dave cdrw 22, 0 Jan 1 1970 /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd
bash-2.05b# which cdrecord
/usr/bin/cdrecord
bash-2.05b# ls -al /usr/bin/cdrecord
-rwx--x--x 1 root root 342628 Oct 17 15:35 /usr/bin/cdrecord

I could not change /dev/hdc with chmod but as a link I am unsure if this is important.

I also just found this quote on www.xcdroast.org

# *Linux Kernel 2.6.8 broke CD-Writing*:
I had several reports that the last 2.6.x kernel broke CD-Writing using the ATAPI driver. Don't update if you want to continue to use X-CD-Roast, or switch back to SCSI-emulation.
*Update:* When started from a root shell burning still works, but non-root mode is disabled by this kernel.

Unfortunatley on my kernel 2.6.10-gentoo-r4 I cannot find SCSI-emulation as an option anymore :-(

Any suggestions for a lightweight cd burner, 3kb is a bit more than I want ... ;-)

Dave