Hi,

I am using gcc 3.4.3 / nptl, built using the stage 1 on 3 howto. I have been doing "emerge -uD --newuse world" most days and masking some packages (such as Ooo and gcc), and generally updating the rest of the system.

Recently, my gentoo install crashes during compiling. I have tried stripping the system to barebones (stop services / kill x / kill framebuffer etc), but it happens *every time*. I believe one of the system packages I've updated is causing a kernel panic. Recently upgraded packages include automake / gawk / binutils-config / libtool / ffftw, along with various apps etc.

I'm at my wits end with this, I don't know where to start. If the system craps out in console mode, it prints loads of weird stuff out, but I don't know how to capture this info, "emerge xfce4 > errors.log" doesn't show it, and neither does /var/log/messages, or any of the other obvious logs. Does anyone know of any magic file that stores what looks to be a kernel dump?

Any help appreciated, I have a working PC, but cannot compile. I am v tempted to stick the livecd in and downgrade a load of these system packages, but was hoping someone may have a better way to start, being that I don't know which package is causing the issue.

Please request any config files you'd like me to post...

TIA

--
  .~.   Mark Brier
 / v \  [EMAIL PROTECTED]