On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:34:49 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Modules are handy, but the way I figure it, things like modules and
> initrd's are a pain to do by hand, and mostly exist to meet the needs of
> generic distributions and LiveCD's and the like. If you don't blow away
> your source tree after you compile a kernel, adding an extra option or
> two and compiling/linking can literally take a few seconds. Of course,
> you still have to reboot.

Adding an extra option as a module avoids the need to reboot.

I guess this is another case of "moderation in all things". Some things
ought to be in the kernel, like your root filesystem, others should be
modules, like drivers for removable devices. Compiling everything as
modules makes almost as little sense as compiling everything into the
kernel.

Adding an initrd just to move a couple of essential modules out of the
kernel is just insane :)

--
Neil Bothwick

I am NOT Paranoid! And why are you always watching me??