Jesse Guardiani wrote:
Jans Han Xie wrote:

Just guess here: Have you re-emerge the alsa-dirver ebuild every time
you re-compile your kernel?

Um, no. It's a 2.6 kernel. Why would I have to do that? It's part of the kernel, right?

Yes, and no. The ALSA drivers are part of the kernel. The alsa-driver package is another (slightly more recent) set of kernel modules that are compiled against the kernel, replacing the internal kernel modules.

So yes, like all kernel module packages (meaning ati-driver, and the nvidia packages), if you change kernels, you have to recompile the packgage against the new kernel.

However, there is in fact (almost) no reason to actually use the alsa-driver package if you are using a 2.6-series kernel that provides the ALSA modules, and plenty of reasons to avoid it.

If you have the package installed because Portage "made you do it" at some point in the past, check the archives for how to tell Portage that the kernel itself provides the alsa-driver package, so you can uninstall it.

And pasting the error message when "/etc/init.d/alsasound restart"
will be more help :)

There isn't one. It starts all of the modules except my snd-intel8x0 module. No error, other than the fact that it isn't doing it's job.

1) Try alsaconf. Maybe your card isn't being properly configured (so alsasound doesn't know to load the module).

However, afaik, there is no "better workaround" than putting the module in /etc/modules.d.autoload/kernel-2.6. After all, that is what that file is for-- it *is* the "better workaround". My onboard sound chip (a VIA 8233) also requires semi-automatic loading in order to work properly; it may have something to do with the fact that it *is* onboard sound, and thus is related to the loading of other motherboard resources before it can be detected. Is your intel8x0 also onboard, or is it a separate card?

Holly