Thank you Bob,

I followed all steps up to rebuilding the kernel, however I got stuck
at
# emerge sync
temporary failure in name resolution; rsync error: error in socket IO
(code 10) at clientserver.c (88)
# emerge-webrsync
attempting to fetch file dated... (a bunch of them); no md5 sum present
on the mirror

I have a 3Com 3c905C-TX/TX-M Tornado Ethernet card; when I compiled the
kernel (2.4), to make sure, I added all 3Com cards as modules. Now when
I boot from hda1 I get the same error message (problem starting needed
services; "netmount" was not started), however # ifconfig, unlike
before, produces some output.

I'm still missing something - but what? Please advise.

Thank you,
b.