Mark Knecht wrote:
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:02:28 -0400, Arran Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Not only is this annoying, it doesn't seem Linux-like to collect the
root password in such a way.  Is there a group that I'm supposed to add
users to so they can admin CUPS?

Anyhoo, I've now officially hijacked the thread.  Remember, the original
poster was really looking for a solution to why CUPS stopped the printer
in the first place.

Not a hijack if the original author agrees. Seems ot me that you've
got it more or less right in my case also. As root all I did was tell
the printer to start. I'd like it if a user could do the same.

Change the configuration for section <Location /admin> in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf. The default for authentication is:

AuthType Basic
AuthClass System

Which means that authentication should be done through the system password database, and anybody in group "sys" can perform administrative tasks (root is in considered as being in all groups, that's why it is the only login/pw that works "out of the box"). I changed it to:

AuthType Digest
AuthClass Group
AuthGroupName wheel

This makes cupsd use the passwords in /etc/cups/passwd.md5 for authentication, and anybody in group "wheel" (you can change that to e.g. "users") and for whom a password is present in passwd.md5 can then perform administration tasks. To set the passwords in passwd.md5:

lppasswd -a -g wheel joe

One caveat, though: lppasswd is installed with permission 4711 and ownership lp:lp. This doesn't allow it to create the passwd.md5 file. You'll have to change it with:

chown root /usr/bin/lppasswd

And don't forget to restart cupsd after your changes:

/etc/init.d/cupsd restart

That should do the trick!

HTH.
-- Remy

Remove underscore and suffix in reply address for a timely response.