Neil Bothwick ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:06:27 +0000, Steve wrote:
>
> > Fair comment... I stand corrected that rsync/rdiff-backup are
> > appropriate for backup of user files.  This issue is an old one of trade
> > off between being able to make fast backups and being able to recover
> > quickly. IMHO the dd approach is still valid and useful as it is one of
> > the few ways to ensure rapid disaster recovery. I agree that an rsync
> > approach permits more frequent backups to be made for user files. Maybe
> > a better recommendation would have been a combination of dd to take an
> > image of the install - then rsync to keep regular copies of user files.
>
> I'd still disagree, rsync or rdiff-backup create an exact mirror of the
> file tree, so you have a backup that is extremely fast to restore from,
> especially for individual files. If I want an image of the partition, I'll
> use partimage as it is several orders of magnitude faster than dd and
> produces smaller archives.
>
> As a backup tool dd is about as friendly as backing up to punched cards :(

Why not a combination of the two?  Use dd to a file to create an initial
image of the partition.  Then, once per night, mount it as a loopback
file, and rsync it...

This way if you have a catastrophic drive failure, you can low-level
re-image the drive.

2c yada.

Cooper.