On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:27:59 +0100
Philip Lawatsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This will for sure work but is definitely not what I intend. Simply
> "overriding" gcc by symlinking it to distcc is not what I want.

Thats exactly what distcc does, it puts a gcc wrapper in the PATH ahead of gcc.
I was merely trying to establish if distcc was working. OTOH if it works, then
it will solve your problem until we find the real answer.

It looks to me like a problem with emerge not setting the PATH properly when
compiling, so it gets to the real gcc before the wrapper. Take a look in
/etc/env.d and see if it all looks fine.

> I'd like
> to let emerge do this work for me.

Look I don't have a magic answer, i am just trying to help work out the
problem. Perhaps you should email Lisa Seelye direct - she is the gentoo distcc
maintainer, or else the gentoo-dev list may be able to offer some help.

>As I said, if i manually use distcc
> it works.
>
> Also I doubt that a package can "disable" distcc if it does not use
> something advanced to check for the real gcc. If you just disable
> parallel make you wont automagically stop distcc from being used afair.

Yes I guess that is true, but then how do you know distcc is being used with
-j1, with the -j1 being set by the package (or perhaps the ebuild). An ebuild
could also presumably over ride FEATURES

> I'd like to know why emerge itself does not use distcc even though I
> tell it to by setting features to distcc.

me too. what versions of distcc and gcc?

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>