Since doing my last 'emerge -vuD world' a few days ago, my system
has locked up two or three times.  And it hasn't locked up while I
was using it---I step away for a while, come back, and the screen is
blank (but the monitor is *not* in power save mode), keyboard/mouse
interaction doesn't do anything; also, the computer will respond to
pings, but trying to ssh into the computer results in a timeout.

Now, I know this is about the most vague question I can ask, but
does anyone have any suggestions on likely places to start looking?
I haven't changed any hardware, so I'm guessing that it's a software
issue.  I have no idea what is causing the lockup.

If I had to make a random guess, I would guess it's the nvidia
drivers (nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx version 1.0.6629-r1).  But
that's just a totally wild guess :)

Anyone have any other ideas?  Is there a good diagnostic tool for
catching something as nebulous as this?

Thank you for any ideas or suggestions,
Matt

--