On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:49:04PM +0100, pat wrote:
> 2) I want to start my text console in figher resolutin, I know I need
> frame buffer, but I trying without sucess :-\ What all I have to do ???

Enable framebuffer in your kernel. using menuconfig, that should be
under

Device Drivers -> Graphics Device -> Support for Frame Buffer

In the menu that it brings up, you probably want to build VGA, plus
some other things. To get console in high resolution, you need to go
down the list to where it says:
  Console display driver support
and in it, select
  Video mode selection support
and
  Framebuffer COnsole support
which then allows you to select
  Select compiled-in fonts
I personally choose the VGA 8x8, VGA 8x16 and Mini 4x6

After that, you need to add the following to the bootloader:
something that looks like vga-794 to select the video mode. For a
listing of the different video modes, see
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10

Cheers,

*   Address:  45 Spelman Hall, Princeton University  08544     *
*     Phone:  x68958                  AIM:  AngularJerk        *
*    E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    From:  sep.dynalias.net   *
See, the secret to the Rubik's Cube: