Michael Thompson wrote:

I have a issue where I cannot connect to my server because the firewall only allows ports 80 and 443 out.

I previously ran SSH on port 443 to overcome this, but I have had to implement a HTTPS solution for users who wanted secure access, so that is now gone.

I've had a similar problem - but have, to date, found no pre-canned solutions.

I'm guessing that it should be fairly easy to implement a lightweight proxy on port 443 to examine the first few bytes of the transmission and to determine if it looks like https or ssh is the protocol. The fact that both SSH and HTTPS both use TCP means you would only need to distinguish between the two distinct services immediately after connection.

I'd also be interested to see a link to any project which already does this...

Steve