Thank you for your comments on the 2nd and third points of my original post.
I'm still struggling with emerging sawfish.  The first question (the most
important)  remains unanswered.  Has anybody had problems with seting up the
WindowManager?  Any tips on how to do this??

One of the things that has impressed me the most about Gentoo so far (along
with a lot of other things) is the fact that most packages work pretty well
"out of the box" without bugs.

As a reminder - here is the main problem again:
When I go to Desktop prefs -> Windows, I get the message

"Cannot start the preferences application for your window manager"

Window manager "unknown" has not registered a configuration tool

If I go to the theme manager and change the theme, my windows disappear
(ie titlebar and borders)