I emerge alsa-utils.  At the end of the emerge it told me that I needed
to manually configure /etc/modules.d/alsa.  I opened it up in vim and
looked at it.  It didn't make much sense to me, except one comment that
said:

## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.

I looked back at the Gentoo Alsa Guide (which I still had open) and I
changed the snd-card-0 alias to ens1371:

##  ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
##  OSS/Free portion
## alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##

I found it a little curious that snd-card-1 was already set to
snd-ens1371, but since it was commented out I left it, exited and ran
modules-update.  It gave me this output:

baby root # modules-update
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols
in /lib/modules/2.4.26-gentoo-r15/kernel/drivers/scsi/sata_sil.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols
in /lib/modules/2.4.26-gentoo-r15/kernel/drivers/scsi/sata_svw.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols
in /lib/modules/2.4.26-gentoo-r15/kernel/drivers/scsi/sata_via.o

Do I have something set wrong?  It occurred to me that snd-card-1 was
already set to snd-ens1371 because the original sound card that came in
this PC was a VIA Technologies card (this PC is an old HP Pavilion and I
think that the VIA card was mounted on the motherboard.  It failed every
other reboot and sometimes while someone was logged in, so I took it to
the shop and had them install a more reliable sound card and to disable
the VIA in the BIOS.)  Is there something else I need to change to get
this to work?  I didn't find
the /usr/share/doc/alsa-driver-1.0.1-rc1/INSTALL file very helpful - I
didn't see anything in there about customizing /etc/modules.d/alsa for a
specific sound card, though I did see the section on autoloading sound
card drivers for 2.4 kernels.  I use kernel 2.4.26-gentoo-r15...