Bčr Kessels wrote:

> emerge gentoo-sources
> This gives errors: it cannot find the packages because it looks online

Hmmm... I wonder if you're supposed to do 'emerge metadata' first.  In
handbook (6.a.) it says to do 'emerge --sync' -- which you didn't do
because of nonetwork.  I would guess that the stage3 tarball has the
metadata already set up... but maybe not.

> emerge --usepkgonly gentoo-sources gives me an error:
> !!! there are no packages available to satisfy "gentoo-sources"
> !!! either add a suitable binary package or compile from an ebuild.
>
> emerge --usepkgonly
> /usr/portage/distfiles/gentoo-sources-2.4.26-r6.tar.bz2 gives me the error
> There are no ebuilds to satisfy
> "usr//portage/distfiles/gentoo-sources-2.4.26-r6.tar.bz2
                                               ^^^^

There is no -r6 in portage.  Current stable ebuild is -r5.

What do you get, verbatim, when you enter this:

# emerge =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.28-r5

If it fails, maybe try 'emerge metadata' and then try again.

On my fully functional and installed gentoo system, the '--usepkgonly' will
give you exactly the same errors you posted.  Which packages is it looking
for online?  Does it say anything about bad MD5's?

FYI, some sample emerge commands (and errors) on my system are below the
sig.  You'll probably see some old friends there.  :-)

Hope this helps...

--
                     G a b r i e l   M .   B e d d i n g f i e l d

orion root # emerge -p gentoo-sources

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.28-r5
orion root # emerge -p --usepkgonly gentoo-sources

Calculating dependencies
!!! There are no packages available to satisfy: "gentoo-sources"
!!! Either add a suitable binary package or compile from an ebuild.
orion root # emerge -p --usepkgonly sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.28-r5

Calculating dependencies

!!! Problem in sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.28-r5 dependencies.
!!! "Specific key requires an operator (sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.28-r5)
(try adding an '=')" exceptions
orion root # emerge -p --usepkgonly =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.28-r5

Calculating dependencies
!!! There are no packages available to satisfy:
"=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.28-r5"
!!! Either add a suitable binary package or compile from an ebuild.
orion root # emerge -p =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.28-r5