Grant ha scritto:

It could have to with a lot of stuff. It is possible that FF has some
DNS cache that gets flushed , it also almost certain ( don't trust me,
my ISP has, I guess it is common :) ) that your ISP has a DNS cache and
it is possible that other users queries have flushed yours. You can ask
mozilla-devs and your ISP , however this won't help for users of other
ISPs and other browsers :) You are tweaking the server , right ? So ,
place a machine as close to it as possible ( put a second lan-card in
the server , and connect the two machines) , alias the server
in /etc/hosts so no DNS lookup is done and benchmark this setup. I think
such a setup minimizes random network factors , so a latency is almost
sure to be in the server and not *OUT THERE* :) Just my 2c.

The server is actually hosted remotely, I should have mentioned that.

After a little more experimentation, both my website and my host's
website have this same behavior of responding right away during a
continuous Firefox browsing session, but taking a long time to "look
up" after a break. cnn.com responds right away, even after a break. It sounds like I need to contact my host. Could this be an issue with
their DNS server?

- Grant

try
# tracepath www.your.server
# ping -c5 www.your.server

while browsing and after a while.
If the results are the same it's a dns problem (it's not counted in connection timings)
if not there must be some "keepalive" stuff that make you faster when browsing.

Francesco