> Hi all,

Hi there

> I'm new to gentoo. I'm using it since July 2004. And it is working like
> a charm!!

It always does! ;)

> I'd like to say thank you very much to all Gentoo guys and gals who make
> this happen!

Ditto!

> If I /etc/init.d/postgresql start, it works like a charm.
>
> Note that both servers are configured to listen on tcp port 5432. So
> this is not the problem :)

Only one server per port. If one is running, the other is blocked. So,
change the port of the first one to 5433 or something and both
instances will run fine at the same time.

As for the compile from sources, did you edit the pg_hba.conf on the
folder where your database is stored? It specifies the hosts that can
connect to postgre and the authentication methods. With the sources,
it blocks almost everything by default.

If these don't work,

# netstat -anp | grep tcp

and you'll see what processes are listening or

# netstat -anp | grep post

to see if postgre or postmaster are listening on any door.

Hope this works,

Raphael :)