On Saturday 26 February 2005 04:07 am, Julien Cayzac
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been using gentoo for 2 years now.
> I update world on a daily basis, by issuing the following command:
> # emerge -u(p)D --newuse world
>
> ...as I found out that emerge -u(p) world didn't manage to update
> certain packages when the USE flags had been changed or a
> dependencie's use flags had.
> Is it the best way to update, and if not, what is the best?
> (also, if it is, why doesn't "emerge -u world" take care of doing the
> same? :p)

--update (-u) only covers newer potrage versions, not simply change use
flags.

--newuse covers changed use flags, but no other upadates.

In additon world only includes package in the world file, and only
dependencies if the package itself needs to be recompiled, unless --deep
(-D) is provided..

'emerge -u world' only covers package in world that have been updated, and
not necessarily their dependencies.  You should make sure and include
--deep (-D) and possbly --newuse to update all fo your packages.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]