On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:17:21 -0500, Bill Roberts
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 16:09 Sat 26 Feb     , Ric de France wrote:
> > Brett,
> >
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:44:44 -0500 (EST), Brett I. Holcomb
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I start up using xdm and get an login window on vt7 from which I can
> > > login.  However, if I got to another console (say vt5) and run startx I am
> > > told that display 0 is in use - well of course it is!  I have
> > > /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers setup as this:
> > >
> > > :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
> > > :1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
> > >
> > > I've checked the bug about pam_env.conf messing up things so I commented
> > > out the display and Xauth lines but still does not work.
> > >
> > > What is the proper way to stop and restart X when running in this mode?  I
> > > tried /etc/init.d/xdm restart and that simply gives me a grey X screen
> > > with a cursor instead of a login box.
> >
> > I don't know if this will help, but from the new virtual terminal line, try:
> >
> > $ startx -- :1 &
> >
> > The & is optional. That should start up another X display. You can
> > then swap between them using Ctrl+Alt+Fx buttons...
>
> I tried:
>
> "startxfce4 -- :1 &"
>
> and it works as well. Cool!

I tried this on one of my audio machines. It works nicely. Seems to me
that this is almost good enough to be useful in a multiuser
environment. Would it be possibly to do something like this:

1) Alt-Ctrl-Del takes you to a gdm login screen

2) You enter your name and password. The system figures out what
display to give you and starts your X session.

3) Alt-Ctrl-F1-6 still take you to consoles from any user account.

4) If you are in any console or in any display other than your own and
you hit Alt-Ctrl-F6-8 then the system requires you to give a password
appropriate for the user account that has that display.

5) No user can shutdown or reboot unless there are no other users logged in.

I don't know if all of that is possible, but it would be cool if it
could be set up.

Cheers,
Mark