Could you please suggest
something I could use to limit transfer rates
to/from selected ports.
Need to simulate dial-up connections locally.

You can - use trickle, which is a userspace solution using preloading for glibc's networking functions (does work on a per-application base similar to "nice"), - use netfilter to route relevant connections through a shaper device (which is a - AFAIK - experimental kernel feature, - use "tc" and the QoS-Kernel-Features.

I'd suggest trickle if the other solutions would mean that you'd have to recompile your kernel. It's very easy to use.

Thanks a lot Hans,
I don't mind recompiling the kernel and would rather use a generic tool useful for system administration later down the road.
Looks like tc is the way to go.

I have some BSD experience but I'm relatively new to Linux
and probably was looking for traffic shapers in a wrong place.
This netfilter approach you've mentioned. Is it something
different from iptables extensions you have to compile with the kernel?
Sasha