On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:19:16 +0100, {Zecke} <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All! Im trying to manually install VMware Workstation for Linux,
> when I unpack the source there is a  vmware-install.pl that I
> execute....then in the second question:
>
> " What is the directory that contains the init directories (rc0.d/ to
> rc6.d/)? "
>
> Argh, Gentoo uses rc-update to manage the init-scripts, so what can I put
> here??
> I tryed /etc/init.d, /etc/, /etc/runlevels, but it doesn't work...here
> is the output:
>
> "The path "/etc/init.d" is a directory which does not contain a rc0.d
> directory."

The problem is, Gentoo doesn't have rc0.d through rc6.d. That's why an
ebuild for vmware-workstation exists in portage, it modifies this part
of the installation to fit within Gentoo's init environment. Give that
a try, it's the same thing as installing from the retail installer.
First time you fire it up, you enter your key, and away you go.

Dan

--
Daniel Barr
http://www.danbarr.com/