On 17:01 Tue 01 Mar     , Ulrich Anhalt wrote:
> normally it should work with sudo. Please comment out the line
>       Defaults       env_reset
> in your /etc/sudoers (if it isn't) and try again

Ulli

Your suggestion for /etc/sudoers solved the problem for gvim, but
firefox was very unhappy, root needs to own the firefox profile in the
users home directory.

I think sux might be a possibility, but I need to look at the
implications of it.

Lastly, if I can figure out the MIT-magic-cookie thing, I might try
that as well.

Thanks to everyone for pointing the way(s).

Bill Roberts