On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:09:46 -0800
Steven Susbauer wrote:

> I believe the application you're looking for is mailx, "The /bin/mail
> program".
>
> It is in portage.
>
> I think messages are stores in /var/mail, don't take my word for it though.

Where the mail is stored will very much depend on where it is coming
from and what mta/lda is delivering it, or more particularly how the
mta/lda is configured.

the "standard" for unix mail is to deliver to an mbox file of the user's name
in /var/spool/mail, so all of root's mail would be in a file named
/var/spool/mail/root, in mbox format. I see on my gentoo server that
/var/mail is a symlink to /var/spool/mail, so we are both right :-)

However unix systems are very configurable, and if you are using a
particular imap or pop server such as courier or cyrus you will not want mail
set up that way. in that case, courier wants to serve up maildir
format files, and you would set up your mta/lda to deliver to something
like ~/.maildir/ (but configurable to be anywhere sensible)

Cyrus has its own mail format which its "deliver" binary takes care of,
the mta/lda delivers to the "deliver" binary, which puts the mail in
somewhere like /var/spool/imap/user/$USERNAME/ (again configurable)

so "where is my mail" depends on how your system is set up. So far those are
only examples. But the best advice so far in this thread is to alias
root's mail to the user who will be reading it.

--
Nick Rout