On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Alex Stagg wrote:

I think the NIC is good - it is brand new. Sorry I forgot to mention that I
have WinNT4 installed on another partition with the Netgear driver and I
have no networking problems (no symptoms, also checked the event logs) when
running that. I dunno if it sill applies these days but I also tried changed
the machine's BIOS settting for an "other OS" (the other option for that is
a "Windows OS"). It used to be this kind of thing had to be set for the PCI
bus to get set up by the BIOS. I think I tried it both ways. This is an
older machine (400Mhz AMD K6).

Did using the tulip driver help?