> Here's the problem. It's really a small, but a very annoying one. In
> short, when my Sony VAIO starts, alsa does not start. Now, if I do
> /etc/init.d/alsasound start, everything works nicely, but the script
> does not start when the run level changes. Not on boot, not on explicit
> run level changes.

Have you looked through your /var/log/messages file?  Try grepping for
'rc-scripts' and alsa on your system logfile and see if it turns anything up.
Also, just after a fresh boot, you can look at the output from the 'dmesg'
command for hints.

Permissions shouldn't be an issue if you can run it manually, but it never
hurts to check that your /etc/init.d/ script is 755 root:root and that you
have a proper link in /etc/runlevels/<runlevel>.

> And in case you're wondering,
> yes, I added alsasound to the boot and even default runlevel. I started
> poking around the startup scripts (e.g., /sbin/runscript.sh) but decided to
> ask you guys first before diving into that process completely.

I would imagine that you would want it in the 'default' runlevel rather than
boot, but I could be mistaken.

--James
--This Message Powered by Linux--
--Registered Linux User 227032--