On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Thanks to all who replied. I have not purchased the Mac mini yet, but
> I am looking at it as a replacement for my dual boot laptop that runs
> Gentoo and Win XP. The only reason I still have Windows is to run Pro
> Tools and it's just never stable enough for me to depend on so I'm
> thinking I'd be fine with a Mac mini doing that job and just making
> the laptop Gentoo all the time.

Unfortunately Portage on Mac doesn't have many packages packages in it yet
(most stuff is masked) - its just too new. As a Mac (laptop) user myself I
would love to see it mature. Right now, the only alternative is Fink
(fink.sourceforge.net) but its based on Debian's APT package system. I
held off on installing either of them until Gentoo on Mac has more
packages (and also partly because Im sure Tiger will be out in a few
months).

> I'll have to write Daniel Ostrow and see how that has progressed since
> January. I suspect that he's made lots of progress.

Hopefully you'll report back to this list...? :-)