On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:15:19 -0800, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:00:12 +0800, William Kenworthy
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > What kind of router?  I have found that position is very important.
> > Place base station well away from other objects (use an extension cable
> > if needed), and above desktop clutter etc
> >
> > e.g., one monitor near the wireless base, + users body in line of sight
> > means very poor (but usable signal).  User moves out of the way, signal
> > moves to v.good.  Raise base above monitor, signal improves again.
> >
> > BillK
>
> Bill,
>    Yes, I've done that sort of stuff already. That, along with messing
> with antenna direction and orientation helped, but it's still not
> reliable.
>
>    Does that signal strength number in iwconfig mean anything? What
> sort of value to do you get?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I got my laptop working. It's a different wireless chip (Broadcom vs.
Realtek in my wife's machine) and then wandered around the house
getting some numbers:

-13db 12" from the router
-36db here at my desk
-50db in my son's room
-63db in my wife's office
-73db in the kitchen

My wife see's around -58db in her office where I'm seeing -63db, so
they're close. Even at -73db in the kitcen I was able to link the
aptop to the router and get to the net using Mozilla.

However I cannot depend on my wife's machine to be a reliable file
server for serving up music files realtime. Very often all the
machines in the house just stop receiving music...

- Mark