On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 12:52 +0000, Ryan Viljoen wrote:
> Hey lian

*heh heh* a common mistake... >I<ain.  The Scottish spelling of Ian :)

> I have got slmodem working now. So now i can run wvdial. I set the
> number, user name and password in the configuration file but when i
> dial with wvdial it seems to still have a problem. It looks for a
> carrier - firstly doesnt find one, tries again and then prompts me for
> a password? This is all already setup in the wvidal.conf file in etc.
> I type in my password but it doesnt work.

That's weird, I haven't exactly seen that before...

> What are you using to dial up?

wvdial also!

> YMMV ? hehe what does that mean?

Your Mileage May Vary.  emerge wtf, and then you can type "wtf ymmv" to
see what it means, or even "wtf wtf"!

What I usually do at this stage is some more diagnosis.  Hook up a
normal phone to the same line, initiate wvdial and then listen in on the
phone.  You should here it dial.  If not, try using minicom or something
similar to connect to the modem port and make sure you can at least get
a response from AT.  If so, try dialling with ATDT and your phone
number.  Answer it and see if you can hear any modem beeps.

If you can dial with minicom, but not with wvdial then obviously its a
problem with wvdial.  If you hear wvdial dial with the phone, but you
still have carrier problems, its possibly a slmodem / hardware problem
(maybe slmodem won't run your modem?)  There should be a slmodem website
that lists compatible hardware.  Is yours there?

Also, wvdial / slmodemd works for me for a number of remote stations,
but on one it just won't work (hardware on the other end is the same as
all the working ones)  So you could also try dialling another provider
just to see if it works.

Beyond that, I'd try playing with the slmodem config file... are you
using MODULE=alsa ? If so make sure you have HW_SLOT set up and for me I
had to comment out MODULE=slamr and MODULE=slusb - also make sure your
kernel is compiled with SND_INTEL8x0 and SND_INTEL8x0M ...

> thanks

no worries.  HTH!
--
Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>