Being a new user, I'm wanting to get an overview of what an average
gentoo user might do or need to do over a 6mnth period.

I installed 3 days ago and am still getting things setup.  Seems like
an awfull lot of time has gone into emerging stuff I wanted installed.

Now it turns out there is an update to portage and my system is
telling me it needs to update portage and then update the already
installed packages.  2 more huge chunks of time lost to compiling.

An activity that seems so intensive that I have been reluctant to and
doubted the advisability of installing or making configs during the
compile process.

So far I've spent a very lot of time waiting for something to finish
emerging.   It seems like things like Mozilla take an extrordinary
long time.

I'm wondering what a user might see over 6 mnths.   How many portage
updates in that amount of time.  Howmany `update worlds'.