Harry Putnam wrote:

> different.  But for now, I end up wanting to use emerge but can't
> because of these massive chunks of time needed to compile things like
> mozilla or kde.  Not sure I understand why binaries for such things
> aren't commonly used.

IMHO, use the '-bin' (binary) packages for mozilla, firefox, and openoffice.
They are usually available, and work pretty good.  On my 1.6GHz PentM, OOo
takes about 4-5GB of filespace (tmp) and a day.  Not worth it to me.

I don't think KDE packages are avail with a binary package.

Just because you use Gentoo doesn't mean you can't use binary packages.
Some are in portage, and some are not.

And yes, the install takes days of tweaking.  But look it at as an
investment.  Unlike other OS's (e.g. Fedora), you'll only need to install
Gentoo *once* and still be up2date.

About once a week I run:

# emerge --sync
# emerge -a --update world

And go to bed.  In the morning it's usually done.

--
                     G a b r i e l   M .   B e d d i n g f i e l d