Hah, I've been using Gentoo for almost a year now, and I'm still working
on getting things setup right!  Gentoo is the best!

Anything that is written in C++ (X.org, mozilla, kde, openoffice, etc)
takes a very long time, and a *lot* of memory to compile.  This is
mostly because gcc is fairly slow at compiling C++.  Gcc recently gained
pre-compiled header support, which should improve things dramatically,
but none of the C++ packages take advantage of this yet.

The level of optimization you choose has a major impact on compile
time.  I suggest either -Os or -O2 for your level of optimization.  For
me (pentium4, 512k L2 cache) those both give consistently good
performance.  Somethings are faster with -Os, and some are faster with
-O2, but only by about 5%.  I use -Os because it takes a little less
time to compile.  -O3 gives me wildly varying performance, being 20%
faster on some things than -O2, but 20% slower on other things.

For me, I update every few days.  I do an 'emerge --sync', then an
'emerge -Duv --pretend world' so I can see what has been changed.  Then
an 'emerge -Duv --fetchonly world' to download all of the sources.  If
there are a lot of updates, or if they are large C++ packages I will
usually wait until I go to bed before doing the 'emerge -Duv world'.
Nothing on my system (3Ghz P4 1G ram) takes more than a few hours to
compile, so it is always finished when I wake up in the morning.  Then
do an 'etc-update', reboot, and it is finished.

As far as the number of updates, I would say it is 2-3 per day usually.
But of course, once the system is up and running, you have a great deal
of control over what to update and when.  I update everything (emerge
-Duv world), but you can choose to update individual packages if you
wish, or just security updates, or ...

As a side note, a few weeks ago I decided to rebuild the whole system
with '-Os'.  So I did an 'emerge -Dv --emptytree world'....the whole
process took about 30 hours!

-Richard