No, I had not installed gnome-base/gnome or gnome-base/gnome-light
yet on my system. I am confident that it would have all worked first
time if I had done so.

I generally use fvwm as something reasonably lean and unobtrusive,
but had also installed KDE to see what the more full blown GUI
environments looked like. (for really frugal use of display area,
plan 9 is the way to go - no window decorations at all. I hate it
when you only a tiny screen on a palmtop and half of the real-estate
if used up with window decorations and menu bars...)

One thing I did like in the SuSE distro which I havn't worked out
how to reproduce on gentoo yet is the way the KDM login prompter
includes a 'Session Type' menu of window manager options. It made
it nice and easy to experiment with different environments.

Anyway, yes, it does seem to work when you know what packages
to pull in. It is just a little worrying that it seems that
dependencies can sometimes be overlooked.

Regards,
DigbyT