Dion Sole wrote:

AFAIK, you have to pay for those two standards -_-

Wang Penghui wrote:

Hi lists:

        I am looking for the standard of SQL now. Both SQL92 and SQL99. I have
STFW for one hour, unfortunitally have no result yet.

        Could anyone have any ideas? Or could pick me up.

Thanks very much.

Wang penghui

Yes - as I understand it the official standards are rather expensive documents (and having read the one for SQL '92 a long time ago) I can confirm that they aren't the most exciting things to read - or anywhere near as informative as you'd imagine they would be!

There are, however, alternatives:

1. There have been many copies of a draft for the SQL '99 (AKA SQL 3) standard available on-line... obviously you can't use a draft as a definitive reference but you can have a peek at what sort of document you might be buying. A quick google found this:

           http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/lehre/SS94/einfdb/SQL3/sqlindex.html

2. I'm a fan of Chris Date's "Guide to the SQL standard" and use this book as if it were my bible in preference to the official documents for most of my own requirements.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201964260/qid=1112036721/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/103-5275408-9079011?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Why do you need to know about the SQL ANSI standards? [You know that just about every available DBMS as good as ignores the standard don't you?]

Steve