Oh yes, I certainly agree that the design of the System V runlevel
architecture is far superiour to the BSD approach. I used BSD and
SVR4 side by side for years, and am happy to admit that each
had its good and bad points.

For instance I always disliked the way SVR4 had all these over
complicated port/service management command line utilities rather
than just letting me edit a configuration file.

But in general, my impression was that the Bell Labs/AT&T/Lucent
stuff was always cleaner and more consistent, while BSD was more
powerful and flexible (because Berkely added features that they
wanted, even if they violated Unix system philosophy).

Linux does a pretty good job of picking the best technology from
the varous systems, but where it tends to fall down is in tidying
up the loose ends and producing a coherent product. I suppose that
is an inevitable result of the more egalitarian development process.

Regards,
DigbyT

--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.digbyt.com