I'm not even going to claim any expertise in this area.  However, off
the top of my head, I can see the following advantages to how Gentoo
does the runlevel:

1) By adding 'softlevel' information to the grub settings, you can
switch between runlevels at boot time instead of having to login,
change '/etc/inittab' and then reboot.
2) By adding the dependency information to the init-scripts, you can
run any init-script knowing that it will make sure everything needed
for it is already running or started.
3) To change between runlevels, you just have to run all the scripts
in a given '/etc/runlevels/<runlevel>' ... so, if you start in console
mode and want to switch to xdm mode, just run the scripts in that
runlevel directory via a simple shell script (ie: for i in `ls
<runlevel-dir>; do $i start; done) ... (of course, there's probably an
easier way to switch runlevels on gentoo, but again, I'm not an
expert).

As usual, these are just my thoughts...

-Hani